I sell gently (sometimes new) clothing on eBay and have been doing so for years. I love it, although it is a lot of work! Mostly because I am so anal about the photos being perfect. I also try to find stock photos of models wearing the clothing and that takes a lot of time. But it also helps it sell so I guess it is worth it. I get my clothing from a variety of places. Most of my merch (like my cool lingo?) is from area rummage sales at churches. I am very fortunate to live near affluent areas where people will spend hundreds of dollars on an item, wear it a few times, then give it away. I am really serious about these rummage sales and actually put the dates on the calendar and plan around them--really they are THAT GOOD! Right now in my closet I have a pair of black wool Jil Sander pants that are worth about $400 and I got them for a mere $1! I have many more stories about my various finds and where I get stuff but I will save that for another post...plus I just am not sure I want to share my secret bargain hiding spots yet!! Ha!

Anyway, on Etsy I peruse the forums quite often so I decided to take a look at the eBay forums. I don't know why I've never done this. Someone started a threat called "Have a Woo Hoo this week?" and I was intrigued. People posted items that they sold last week and made a "woo hoo" sale. I am so amazed at what people will buy and especially how much they will spend! The most woo hoo's posted were vintage (if you can call 1992 vintage...this means I am vintage! Ahhh!) Ralph Lauren sweaters. We are talking the super tacky sweaters with big flags or bears across the front! And one of them actually sold for...drum roll please...$299!! Really? Really. So when spring finally gets here I will be on the search for old Ralph Lauren sweaters. The tackier the better I suppose! Feel free to post your woo hoo story here if you are an eBay seller too. And in the meantime, if you see someone walking down the street wearing a really tacky bear sweater from the 80's or 90's, grab it and run...or better yet just offer them about $10 for it and see what happens. Who knows? Maybe you will have your own "Woo Hoo."


 
Top