Yesterday I experimented more with metals. I bought some more brass and a big piece of sheet metal from the hardware store. I don't like to use traditional metals. I like to mix it up a bit.





I started out using my dapping block and making rounded discs of varying sizes and metals.





Then I made this little bale for the pendant to hang on. I cut a strip then bent it around my round pliers and hammered it shut on one end.



This is what I had hoped the finished product would look like....well it's all experimental and it didn't quite turn out like this.


Yes, I do this in my kitchen. Not an ideal space but it's what I have to work with.


The solder didn't work the first time so I had to do it again, which means coating it in flux again and cleaning it off.




This is what the piece looked like after I tried again and again to attach the stupid bale to.



I had to give up on the bale. It was a good idea but for some reason I just couldn't get it to stay in the place I wanted it to be. Plus I just lost patience.


After a lot of polishing with the dremel this is the final product! Pretty cool huh?







More product shots for etsy.




I also finally got around to polishing up the ring I made a while ago. It looks so pretty all shiny. Next time I will make the band silver though. I've been wearing the ring to test out it's durability and it does turn my finger green after I wash my hands. I'll still wear it though.




I also made this pendant last night. I am really happy with it. I cut the flower first and sanded the edges then bent it in the dapping block. I cut and "dapped" the sheet metal middle and put a hole through both pieces. Then I used a jewelry pin through the middle and added a silver bead and bent the end of it in a circle. They spin!










I also finished up some custom orders and made them all nice and shiny. The Osado necklace is for a friend who is going to take it to a Mexican museum gift shop in Chicago and ask if they want to purchase them wholesale for their shop! That would be incredible if they do. I'm so excited.

A silly picture--just because.


And on a completely un-art related note I thought I'd throw in this shot because it cracks me up. My brother got me and 5 friends tickets to the Black Eyed Peas last Tuesday and I gotta say it was one heck of a good concert. I danced the entire time (which I paid for with a mild hangover the next day) and it felt like we were at a club rather than a concert. Even Kid Rock came out and performed a song with them. I'm not a big Kid Rock fan but it rocked. And Ludacris was a great opener. I shook my money maker. ;)
 
Top