I'm standing next to someone in a Shop, "Isn't it just Beautiful?" she says as she gazes appreciatively at a Painting she's obviously admiring and totally captivated by.




I don't quite know what to say or how to respond, since to me, it isn't at all... and yet, does that really matter what I think, especially if she's really into it?




You see, Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder and I personally think thats a Wonderful thing for a variety of reasons.




How and why people are drawn to certain and different things is indeed a Mystery, but each of us has our own filter and opinion about what we consider to be Beautiful and Interesting to us.




Sure, there are some things that the Majority may be unanimous about... and other things that may be considered Quirky because only a select few appreciate.




And I've found that at times if something becomes Popular enough and it's 'Time' is Now, it will suddenly have a surgency of Appreciation.




And other things can, after a Time, lose their Appeal.




Because Beauty is also very Subjective.




And even the Beholder may change what is Beautiful in their own Eyes in the passage of Time.




What I thought was totally Awesome in my Youth may or may not still Appeal to me... not everything has an Abiding Love Affair.




And Exposure can be Everything... and certainly Influence us... as can other People.




I recall saying something Polite but vague in response to the question posed about the Painting in the Shop... not wanting to offend or insult the Person Admiring it... and possibly Purchasing it.  If she Loved it then that's all that really matters.  I certainly didn't want to unduly Influence her, because obviously she was drawn to this piece in a visceral way and I totally Respect that.




But I often wonder... if a response were Negative rather than Positive or Neutral... would a Person question their own Preference, Taste, Style and Aesthetic just because someone else doesn't see it in the same Light of Appreciation?




Sadly, some do... because the Opinion of others sways them more than it probably should... even though no apology should be made or is necessary as to what one thinks to be Beautiful or is drawn to for whatever reason.

 


I'm not certain I can be convinced that something is Beautiful or I should want it if it doesn't Move me like that... regardless if it Moves someone else that way.  But I do Believe that you can learn to Appreciate some things more based on how others behold it and view it with more objectivity.

 


Things certainly can Grow on you, so to speak... or over Time you can change your mind and look at things a different way, perhaps with more Appreciation and Interest.




But... even if you never do... someone else might or will... and I just Hope that they aren't unduly swayed by what anyone else thinks about it... because Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder... and I Believe it was meant to be that way for a Purpose.

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

 
Top