"Windows To The Past"
This was done using an antique 8x10 camera and double exposing in the camera. I love to experiment and try different techniques. I always wonder how far I can push things and am often surprised and delighted at the result. The above image is of the windows in my parents house where I grew up and also an antique photograph of one of my ancestors. I think I have his eyes.

When I worked at a state park in the summers, early morning was my favorite part of the day. We would drive around before the park opened and get all the buildings opened, etc and it seemed like every day something new would happen. Either you would see a baby fox or an incredible sunrise. This day it was very foggy and I just happened to have infrared film in my camera. Infrared, when used in this way, can be really really grainy. I love the way the grain is so severe that you can almost see the different colors within each dot. It reminds me of a Seurat painting.


This tree was reflecting in the canal.



In college they gave us Holga cameras to play around with. They were inexpensive plastic, medium format, 120 film cameras from China. They have a lot of light leaks in them which always give you crazy results. And if you double expose your shots too you get even crazier results. The above photo turned out really amazing. I didn't even notice the word "father" until I printed it as an 8x10.




More infrared film.







I took really long exposures for these and "painted" with a flashlight. I used a hand held flash for the last one and flashed my hands. I took these with no help--it was a challenge!

This was done by sandwiching 2 negatives together but I also flipped one of them so it was actually backwards.

This was my first experiment with solarizing a print. I love it because it was a total crossover with the painting class I was taking at the time. In my painting class my professor was teaching us how to paint using the background as a color. He used Cezanne as an example. This print plays around with the background and foreground.

More solarizing.

 
Top