Chicken, Potatoes, and Broccoli- YUM
Last night, before I got horrendously sick with a sinus infection...wait...that's probably not the most appetizing way to start out a post about cooking! Oh well. I feel horrible right now as I write this but the food was great last night so it is what it is. (I've been mildly sick since Thanksgiving by the way but it all came crashing down late last night.)
Anyway, I decided to make a nice Sunday night meal and tried out a couple of new recipes that turned out great. I sort of cheated with the chicken-it was a pre-seasoned half a chicken- but really how hard is it to season it anyway? Just add some paprika and other spices and there you go. So let's just pretend I seasoned it and move on! Besides the label has a guy with a big white leprechaun beard and chicken on his head! Who can resist?!

My daughter, the budding photographer, took these while I was peeling potatoes. I used red skinned potatoes, which I know traditionally the skins are left on but they were what I had on hand so I peeled them.



If you click the recipe above it will take you to the recipe I found online. You boil the potatoes with a couple of whole pieces of garlic (I crushed mine first though to release the flavor better), then you make this really great garlic flavored oil/butter mixture to later brown them in.






God, I love garlic! I should have roasted a head since I had the oven nice and hot but oh well.
After you make your garlic infused butter/oil, you heat some up (not all of it) in a big fry pan. Drain the potatoes and then slice them up. Brown them in the pan in batches (a pain but worth it) and add more oil/butter goodness as needed. After that you squish it all into an oven proof skillet and put it in the oven at 450 degrees until it gets crispy. I got wimpy with the squishing though. It's supposed to come out like a pie and mine just came out the way it looked when it went in! Still tasted great though.





While the potatoes are browning I made another dish I'd never tried with broccoli and the best part is it's super easy and done in the microwave! You heat 2 Tablespoons of butter for a couple of minutes, add slivered garlic, and put it back in for another few minutes so it gets crispy. Then you add the broccoli and a cup of chicken stock (I used organic), cover it and cook it for about 4-5 minutes. That's it!




Oh yeah, and you just take the chicken out when it's done...however I never time things that well and we sort of ate the potatoes and broccoli while the chicken finished cooking! We pretended it was a 3 course meal so it was ok.

 
Top