I had some friends over last night to knit (although we ended up talking mostly!) and decided to combine a couple of my favorite recipes and make some killer cupcakes. I cheated a little bit and used a mix for the actual cupcakes but in the past I have used the following recipe and it is so rich and amazing.
Coca Cola Cake
2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
1 cup plus 1/2 cup butter
3 T plus 3 T cocoa
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 Eggs
1 T Vanilla
1 1/2 cups Marshmallows
3 cups Powedered Sugar
1 cup plus 6 T Coca Cola
Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine flour and sugar in large bowl. In small saucepan, heat 1 cup butter, 3T cocao, 1 cup coca cola. Simmer then pour over the flour mixture. Stir well. Add buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla mix. Add marshmallows. Bake for 35 minutes.
Frosting:
In saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter, 6T coca cola and 3T cocoa. Bring to a boil. Pour over a bowl with 3 cups of powedered sugar. Beat well.



While the cupcakes were baking I made the peanut butter filling. I like to use natural organic peanut butter and the Kirkland brand from Costco is my absolute favorite peanut butter. It doesn't get gritty or separate like the other stuff. You have to shake it and mix it up the first time but once you do that it stays smooth and creamy until the jar is gone.



Peanut Butter Filling
1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1 T butter or margarine softened

Pretty much beat them together until smooth. Super easy!





I like to use disposable pastry bags because there is so much less clean up. Fill one up, snip off the end and insert into the middle of each cupcake and fill them. It's kind of a guessing game as to how much to use. Basically you don't want them to explode! Ha.







For the frosting I used Pepsi instead only because it just happens to be what we had already. I didn't notice a difference between either one. Maybe the coca cola is a bit sweeter but these are so rich it doesn't matter.


At first I tried spreading the frosting on but this is fairly runny frosting (but good runny). I ended up dipping each cupcake in it and it worked out really well! It leaves them with a nice smooth top too. I had a bit of the peanut butter filling left so I added a dab to each. It would also be nice to put chocolate sprinkles on top.


 
Top