As we finish up our Melrose Crawl around RUST & ROSES and enjoy lavish, lush Garden Style and Architectural Salvage galore... I like to Imagine what the Grand Old Homes must have looked like that these amazing Salvaged Architectural pieces came from?  Do you ever do that my Friends?  Wonder what gorgeous Old Homes are now Lost and have been sadly razed... and all that remains are the fabulous remnants that we hold so Dear when we're Styling with Salvaged Treasures from yesteryear?  I could never be in the Demolition Business... because I'd have a guilty conscience about demolishing Historic Structures, regardless of condition.   I'd be the one chaining myself to some Old House so that they couldn't tear it down in fact!  *LOL*   I know, I know, we can't Save them all... and some are so far gone that they could really never be Restored or made Structurally Sound again for habitation.  But even in their Derelict State I find them to be Beautiful... even when they are a mere Ghost of what they used to be... even if Nature has practically reclaimed them.  I doubt that a Modern Tract Home will ever hold that Sentiment for me no matter how many decades roll by... they just don't have that Unique Individuality and Character or Craftsmanship of the Historic Homes... when there were no cookie-cutter subdivisions that are built with lightening speed because they're prefabricated and made as cheaply and quickly as possible.

But I am Thankful to those Salvage Companies that have at least preserved a small part of each Structure torn down so that there are some remnants of the Grand Past of each Old Home or Business that no longer is... except in someone's Memories or Old Photographs... leaving some Legacy to those Beautiful Old Buildings that couldn't be Saved in their entirety... and allowing the rest of us to Imagine what they must have been like in their Prime?!?

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian
 
Top