I was cleaning up the house today and started to throw away some empty pill bottles when I had a thought: "What could I make out of these?" Luckily the labels peeled right off without leaving any residue. I thought of cutting them into slices and using the rings for something.







Cutting them evenly was harder than I thought it would be. I tried using the dremel but it mostly melted it and left a nasty melty residue on the edges.




Nerd!





I measured (I am so not usually a measuring type person) and drew lines in order to get an even cut.









I ended up with circles of different thicknesses. Next I took the dremel outside and tried sanding the edges. It didn't work very well. Then I tried a steel brush attachment-this made it even worse. I tried a few more bits then old fashioned sand paper. None worked all that great and I was left with a coating of plastic shavings all over myself. What I found worked best of all was running the edge of a craft knife back and forth over the edges. Seems like a lot of work but the whole time I was trying things out I was also thinking of what the heck I was going to do with the pieces.



I drilled a very small hole in each side and put a straight pin through it with beads in between. I am really happy with the results. The earrings look adorable on.

Matching necklace!



This necklace started out the same way as the earrings but when I was trying to make the hole bigger on one side I ended up ripping through it. So I folded it together in a raindrop shape and wire wrapped it. It made me think of these green glass teardrop beads I have and I think they work really well together. It's sort of an interesting necklace when you think about it because it's made from a pill bottle and they are in the shapes of tears. I love when you can recycle and make something new out of something old or discarded!




 
Top