There is a new show on Bravo called "Work of Art" that is a reality show about artists competing in the same fashion as Project Runway. It reminds me a bit of being in art school: the interaction, the critique, the deadlines, and the pressure. I miss that. So I've decided to challenge myself along with the show. This is a catch up post because they are 4 episodes into the show so I am using some older pieces that fit the theme but I plan on creating new works each week.





Episode 1: Self Reflexive


To get on the show each artist had to submit a self portrait and in the first episode they were partnered up and tasked with doing a portrait of the other artist.





Here is my self portrait:









Here is my portrait:





Episode 2: The Shape of Things To Come

In this episode they were taken to a junk yard of sorts and have to use discarded things in their work. I do this a lot anyway! I made this necklace using a piece I took out of an antique cash register. I used different abrasive techniques to give it this finish.


Episode 3: Judging a Book by it's Cover

They had to create a book cover and the winner will have his actually printed. I think this photograph I took a week or so ago would make an excellent cover.


Episode 4: A Shock To the System
The guest judge was Andres Serrano, who rocked the art world (and especially the religious world) by exhibiting his "Piss Christ" piece, which was a figure of Christ emerged in urine. It actually was quite beautiful if you didn't know what it was! The artists were supposed to create a shocking piece...



"Waiting"
Episode 5: Art That Moves You
The artists were supposed to use the energy of the city (New York) to inspire their piece.
Mine is about Detroit. It's the People Mover track yet the actual train is missing. Even though it does not have "energy" in the shot and is stagnant I think it says a lot about the city. Is it standing still? Is it ready to come alive just around the bend? Or has that train already left?

I cannot wait to watch the next episode to see what my next assignment is. I'll keep ya posted.

 
Top