Sometimes you discover a Found Treasure with just the right Message... such was the case when I found this small Sampler while on a Junquing forray this week. Obviously someone had taken their considerable time and talents to create such a lovely work of cross-stitch Art with a beautiful Message that is oh so true... and it made me wonder... why was it discarded and never really "finished"? It isn't framed nor does it look like it ever was incorporated into a finished project and certainly it is a labor of Love meticulously crafted and should have been so properly appreciated and cherished. Was it made for someone special? Was it given as a Gift? Was it made just for the simple Joy of creating a lovely piece of Folk Art? It saddened me in a way to read the Message and know that someone obviously felt so strongly about that statement to memorialize it in their Artwork and then, for whatever reason, have it discarded... either by themselves or by someone else who was the recipient of their work. I believe that a labor intensive work of Art, such as a cross-stitched piece like this, is done with much Love and was very likely a Joy to create and a testimony of the Message it states. And I wonder... were THEY Loved... and by whom? Was there a lost Love and therefore the piece became too painful a reminder to hold onto? I always wonder about the History and stories behind all the Lovelies I acquire... especially those special pieces that I just find hard to believe that anyone parted with or discarded.

I'm delighted to have found such a beautiful and special piece for a song, knowing it is worth far more than I paid for it and wanting to give it the proper attention and respect it deserves... as I will one day incorporate it into one of my pieces of wearable Art... perhaps as a delightful Bohemian Carpet Bag centerpiece or the front of a Bohemian Art throw Pillow. I may never know who made it and they will never know where it ended up... but I do so appreciate and am grateful to and for those unknown Artists who use their considerable time and talents to Grace this World with such lovely pieces that impart timeless Messages and bring forth Beauty for others to enjoy... planting seeds of delight for others to harvest... Dawn... The Bohemian
 
Top