I like to take things apart. I always have. Maybe I like to figure out how things work. Or maybe I just like making new things out of old junk. At any rate, we had an extra computer keyboard hanging around so I decided to take it apart and see what was inside.

The obvious things to use are the cute little plastic letter keys. I haven't decided if I'm going to spell things with them, make them into silly rings, or make some sort of funky jewelry out of them.


I really like this see thru plastic piece. I am thinking of doing a painting and incorporating it somehow.

But my favorite part of all was the rubber layer. It's sort of clear and has the buttons sticking up but it is super soft and pliable and reminds me of a silky fabric.


Some sort of wrist thing would look a little more like octopus tentacles.





But a statement necklace may work! I pinned it together and cut up a black suede shirt I've been saving for a project just like this one and used it to line the top. I attached thick metal chain to each side. The only test will be to see if it sews well. I tried to sew a different piece but the sewing machine just ripped the plastic. So some hand sewing is in my near future. If it works than this will be one heck of a conversation piece!
 
Top