WHAT!?!?!??!?!?!   Yes, you heard me right... good things can come out of a Depression!  I'm talking specifically about one of my fav Vintage items, Depression Glass...

Depression Glass is clear or colored translucent glassware that was distributed free, or at low cost, in the United States around the time of the Great Depression.

And what I absolutely LOVE about it is that it can STILL be had for a bargain!  Case in point, my most recent "Score"... I was in the Thrift Store looking for Bathing Suits for the G-Kids, when what do I spy... but a wicker basket filled with a Service for 8 Sandwich Set of the Green Depression Ware Glass... for under Five Bucks, including the basket!!! *High Five!!!*  I've always Loved and appreciated pressed Glass and the Vaseline Green is one of my favorite hues... it looks rich without being expensive and it holds up well.  And the really cool thing with this color is that under a Black Light it glows!  Now how psychedelic is that for those of us with a Hippie sensibility?! *Winks*


You see, during tough times it forces folks to become resourceful and realize what they can live without... or what they can create for less and fill a need or offer a bargain and Hope during lean times. I'm sure during the Great Depression that being able to receive for free or buy something affordable, useful AND pretty was a high point during an otherwise low period of History.  I'm sure manufacturing such creations created not only useful Beauty, but much needed Jobs.  We can learn a lot from History, what went wrong and what went right... and apply the lessons learned so that during present and future hardships, we can remain Hopeful, resilient and productive...  here's to a brighter Future my Friends... full of possibilities, resourcefulness and creativity abounding...

Dawn... The Bohemian

*Hippie Style Poster Art cribbed from Bing Images*
 
Top